Monday, January 3, 2011

Ryan

What do you do if your past stared at you in the face?

Some people would welcome the opportunity to go back in time and take a different turn. I’m not one of them. However, unlike most people, I have been given the chance to resolve my past, uninvited, and through a different person.

It has been a few months ago but the scene is etched in my mind as though it happened moments ago.

It was in Brisbane. My friends and I were on our way to our friend’s house for a fortnightly meeting. It was an unusual night as we had to take public transport that day, so we met at the city before heading to the Denise’s place.

I was about to go home to Manila and was discussing what my plans were while we were standing in the bus. Jo and I were being our merry selves, excited and anxious at the same time, of what lay ahead. Jo was about to get married, and I was to go on a fresh start as well, after doing post-graduate studies in a foreign land.

The bus stopped and freed up some seats. I got to sit next to a blond Aussie guy who, at that time, was busy with his phone.

Jo and I continued our chat, when suddenly, the guy next to me asked for a favor. He wanted to get my opinion on a text message that he was about to send to his ex-girlfriend.

He said his ex dumped him today (Friday), through text, without as much as an explanation. He also said that tomorrow, Saturday, was his birthday.

The SMS draft showed all you would expect from a guy who was faced with such a predicament. It was filled with rage, surprise and a hint of self-pity.

At that moment, only one thing came to my mind. I couldn’t tell him this exactly, but it was a moment of serendipity. Figuratively, I was his ex-girlfriend.

I was taken aback and had to collect myself. Who the heck is this guy? What do I tell him? Should I just hug him and tell him it’s going to be alright?

What I did next surprised even myself.

I said to him, “Look at it this way. Tomorrow, on your birthday, she wouldn’t have to lie to you and say that she loves you. You are now both free to find that someone who will accept you and will love you better. So go and call your mates, get together and have a party. Tomorrow is the first day of the rest of your life.”

I also shared my lollies with him. :)

We never got to formally introduce ourselves to each other. Two stops later, we all got off the bus and went our separate ways. Someone called his phone and he mentioned his name was Ryan.

That night, I shared this story to my sisters and included prayers of peace for Ryan, his ex-girlfriend, my ex-boyfriend and me.

I guess there really was a time machine, just not how I had imagined it would be.

No comments:

Post a Comment